GERBERA FLOWER COLOURS AND SYMBOLISM
White Gerbera Meaning
When To Gift White Gerbera
- Baptismal occasions
Yellow Gerbera Meaning
Orange Gerbera Meaning
Pink Gerbera Meaning
- Respect and admiration
Red Gerbera Meaning
- Romantic love
ADDITIONAL GIFTING NOTES
- Perfectly safe and non-toxic for pets, great for cat and dog owners.
- In need of a pick-me-up? The Gerbera Daisy has a long vase life (more care advice below!) so you can definitely count of these cheery blooms.
GERBERA FLOWER CARE 101
Basic Care Steps For Cut Gerberas
- After unwrapping, hold the cut end of the stem under water, and cut off the bottom ½ inch at a 45-degree angle with a sharp pair of clippers.
- Gerberas are thirsty flowers. It’s important to check in with them, and to replace the water in the vase every two days, making sure that the stem remains submerged.
- Need more advice? Read our Flower Care Guide for more tips!
Additional Pro-Tips For Gerbera Care
- Gerberas are particularly susceptible to bacteria. Once the stems are blocked, they’ll droop. That’s why, it’s all the more important to clean your vase thoroughly, and you can do that by using a bit of bleach and hot water!
- Browning petals? Fret not, you can pluck them out without affecting the rest of the bloom.
- If the bottom of the stems look spongy or the flowers start wilting, recut the stems to improve the water intake.
GERBERA: A HISTORY
The Gerbera, or Gerbera Daisy, was first discovered in South Africa by renowned botanist Traugott Gerber back in 1737. Despite its origins, it can now be found across the globe, with the Netherlands producing at least 900 million of the flowers in all sorts of colours, shapes and sizes each year alone — not bad for a country renowned for Tulips!
DID YOU KNOW?
- The most common type of Gerbera
- Features disk-shaped flowers
- Long, thin petals
- Rounder and fuller than your Single Gerb’
- Has more than one row of petals
Crested Double Gerbera
- Features a double row of overlapping petals
- Additional inner rows
- Might be two-toned
Full Crested Double Gerbera
- Unbelievably fluffy!
- Has two rows of outer and inner petals
- Definitely the statement maker of the bunch